Friday, June 13, 2008

Beat Street

Well, as my city floods, I have no choice but stay in and deliver up some tracks for you guys to check out. Tonight I'm going to talk about J Dilla.

I often get into a debate with hip hop heads about who is the greatest MC of all time. Considering most of them rest this blog, I'm not going to get into it again. What I CAN do is talk about producers. Beat makers. The men behind the music.

So why J Dilla? First of all, I'm going to spare you the BS and link you over to Wikipedia for general background:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J_Dilla


Quick run through of the things that make a difference. Detriot boy. Grew up on 7 mile. R.I.P. He spent his final days in a hospital bed making the album "Donuts" which is a masterpiece.

Next note of importance is "Champion Sound" with Madlib (group called Jaylib). The group was called by many critiques "your favorite hip hop producer's favorite producers" first on Pitchfork and was then picked up by other media.

Finally, Ruff Draft which is more of less the leftovers and unmade beats from his career. While there are other great things that he did (chart topping songs with many artists, other albums like Jay Love Japan) I think these three albums represent the best J dilla has to offer.

Thankfully, you don't need to be in my apartment to hear these amazing albums. Enough time has passed for You Tube to contain many, many great songs from these albums. Give it a listen.

I suggest the following tracks: The Shining, Last Donut of the Night, Workinonit, Two Can Win, and Bye.

I feel like I could ride off into space with his beats. The use of strange Jazz loops, soft electro, and solid D&B makes his music trully amazing.


On a different note (and I think a fairly easy connection) check out my FAVORITE new group right now out of LA doing a J Dilla tribute!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The shining is a great track. What sources do you read to get into the new stuff that you listen to?

Anonymous said...

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/03/30/93-music-piracy/

BridgeLoan said...

That site is hilarious. Great find.

I just review music I have on vinyl. I shop a lot of music stores here in Des Moines (there is one fairly good one) and shop vinyl on a national scale. These days I shop almost all out of Brooklyn and L.A. these days. After watching the Wire, I started to hit up Bmore music too, and let me tell you, it the hardest shit you have EVER heard. The wire was very infulenial on me. I think it is the best television show ever made which is saying a lot considering how good Arrested Development it.

But yah, I will keep the hits coming. I will find a way to record and I will start laying down some mixes for you.

Headshot

Headshot

Breaktionary

Breaktionary
Qbert