Saturday, October 11, 2008

Thoughts on Saturday morning

I love using the music service pandora radio. I think that they make the strong point that musical tastes are better organized by elements within the music you listen to rather than liking a list of artists.

I think I should make it clear that as I write this it is early in the morning, I am alone, and I am thoughtful after a very busy week. When I'm out at a club I might here a song that I would like when I'm having a good time. But for me, hip hop is to be enjoyed alone with headphones. Hip hop party music is totally overused, overhyped, and just boring. Any of the songs below would clear a dance floor and I understand some beats are more dancable than others. That's fine. When I talk about loving hip hop, I mean for personal enjoyment. I'm not talking as a DJ; just as a fan.

Elements I enjoy:

I like music that has a dramatic quality to it. Listen not only to the lyrics on this track, but more importantly the beat behind it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlDo81vu7wY

The first element you hear is a heavy, slightly blown out kick. This kick sound was very common in rap several years ago and is more or less designed for what Em calls "rolling music". The kick is going to provide loud bass for trying to blow your speakers out to in your suburb.

I think Em's major contribution to beatmaking in his music was the use of guitar. You can hear the sample of a guitar strumming three times over the E-string on a guitar and the sound being faded out through the volume knob on the guitar.

Finally there is the snare. This is really important to me, and again emblematic of Em's music. Em samples acoustic drum samples. As in, he records each element of the drums off of an actual drum set. When you get low-level recording software it will come with pre-made sounds that are not an actual sample of live drums. It sounds shitty. Listen to "Stan" by Em again and just listen to the snare. Again, reall drum samples, slightly blown out bass, guitar in the background.

Finally (and get back to my first statement), the strings add the dramatic element that I really enjoy. When I think dramatic, my first thought it soundtrack. Now, this is clearly from the soundtrack to a film in the first place, however I think being able to tie a visual image to music is really important. I love Spank Rock to death, however if you hear the song "Rick Ruben" I can't imagine any image that could go with it. Maybe classic video games? Again, just not dramatic.


Alright. Next song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUrJdf4PbEk

I have read on several different occasions that Ready or Not is Obama's favorite song. I am still looking for the statement that says that however. I don't think this song is composed as well as "love me" as using a cheap flanger on a horn is just tacky.

I love the song because it is well...haunting. And sad. I like introspective music with a narative quality to it that hip hop seems to have almost completely lost.

I had a dicussion recently with AP here on my Tupac post. The music and flow of Biggie falls into elements of what I am dicussing above. From Wikipedia:

"Biggie was noted for his "loose, easy flow",[4] dark semi-autobiographical lyrics and storytelling abilities"

Again, just right up my alley. Listen to the song "what's beef". All of it. So damn good. Gentle, haunting strings, acoustic drum samples, narrative storytelling, and smooth ride into the hook.

As a final word on gangsta rap, I want to hear the thoughts of an actucal gansta, not a back-up dancer.

But don't take my word on what's street. I'm off to brunch.

Love.

No comments:

Headshot

Headshot

Breaktionary

Breaktionary
Qbert