Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year.

I can't let the new year pass without some kind of reflection. I've learned a lot in 2008. To say that 2008 was the year when I finally grew up would be...a lie. Still very much a kid. Still love video games.

I approached reflection as I do with most things in my life; black and white. Was this year good or bad? Win or fail? You can't do that though. I have to take the good with the bad. I guess I will go into finance-mode and track my performance.

In the year where my entire industry got laid off, I kept my job. For now. That is an accomplishment. If anything, 2008 was the year that I did well at work. So plus +1.

I love music, but I have pushed the making of it out of my life as I have got busy. My guitar case hasn't been opened for almost a year. That's -1.

I went to amazing parties. I bought bottle service at the most exclusive club in Iowa (which is kind of like saying I bought one beer in NYC on the coolness scale). I have had so many amazing nights, at least I believe so. In my do or don't do at all attitude, I have periods of no drinking at all and nights that go to 6 in the morning. I don't like that. It's not really a resolution per se, but 2009 will be the year where drinking takes a back seat to everything else. It's dumb to say I am going to quit drinking altogether, but I no longer see the connection between good times and drinking. I have much more fun sober. (no real + or - there)

2008 was the year I quit smoking! I have a smoke every now in then with old friends, but amounts to two cigs over the last 3 months. A co-worker asked me, "wow! How did you do it?". I responded "I just stopped". +1

2008 was the year i did not care about my body. Ate whatever, didn't work out, always with the excuse I didn't have time. 2009 will be better. -1

2008 was the year the absolute love of my life spent with me. Then she left. I don't know how it is going to work, but by the end of 2009, we are not going to be in different cities ever again. It may take me giving up my job to move to DC. Oh well. Kicking ass and taking names is just not worth it if there is nobody to come home too. +1 wonderful times, -1 her leaving

So that nets to zero. Sounds about right. Didn't need any excel marcos to calcuate the IRR on those numbers.

Happy new year all. Let's make 2009 just +1 better.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

its good to hear from you again. It will be interesting to see how each of us do with our resolutions. I am working on a piece of my own about that in the next few days.

RW said...

great post, love.

so where are we moving? chicago? dubai? frankenmuth? ;)

Headshot

Headshot

Breaktionary

Breaktionary
Qbert