Saturday, January 10, 2009

Burris in the Senate?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090106/ap_on_go_co/senate_burris

(I wrote this monday morning, no time to post till now)

Believe it or not, some kid in finance knows next to nothing about Constitutional Law. I’ve most certainly read the constitution and the federalist/anit-federalist papers, but unlike many of my former classmates I don’t believe that somehow makes me an expert on the topic. I wrote a paper about the provisions in the constitution protecting us from having a standing army in our homes and its applications to the modern world are staggering. Beware servicemen who crash on my couch, for you will get an intense lecture.

In all seriousness though, this has to be the most interesting legal issue I know of since Bush vs. Gore. I can only imagine the heated debated occurring in the ivory tower of legal thought around the United States. Unlike some poorly written Jerry Failhemier production, this entire saga has incredible implications for our legal and political future as a country. Assuming there is at least one other corrupt politician out there (and I know it’s a stretch), can political positions be given as favors by corrupt politicians?

Let’s say the Governor of Iowa is found guilty of corruption. During his term, he appointed a judge to a vacant seat. Is this appointment legal? I have no idea. Pretty interesting stuff though.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

come on man,,, I'll sleep on your couch,,,,,,,,

just saying, though, why can't they just have another election?

Headshot

Headshot

Breaktionary

Breaktionary
Qbert